SCI260 Introduction to Biochemistry
In this weeks class, we discussed gluconeogenesis, glycogen metabolism, and the
pentose phosphate pathway and their roles in glucose metabolism. Based on the topics
discussed in Lecture #5, please answer each of the following questions.
1. Which enzyme-catalyzed reactions are shared between the gluconeogenesis and
glycolysis pathways? (Note: just provide the name of the enzyme that catalyzes
each of the shared reactions).
2. Why are some enzymes needed only in the gluconeogenesis pathway and not in
the glycolysis pathway?
3. Which one of the following reactions only occurs during gluconeogenesis (i.e.,
not during glycolysis)?
a. 1,3-bisphosphglycerate into 3-phosphoglycerate
b. Glucose 6-phosphate into fructose 6-phosphate
c. Oxaloacetate into Phosphoenolpyruvate
d. Phosphoenolpyruvate into Pyruvate
4. An increase in glucagon levels can __________.
a. Promote the degradation of glycogen (i.e., glycogenolysis)
b. Occurs during the fasting state (starvation)
c. Promotes the synthesis of glycogen
d. A and B
5. A high school girl who is self-conscious about her appearance has been fasting for
several days to fit into a dress she intentionally bought a size too small for a
school dance. Which of her organs/tissues is producing the glucose that is being
synthesized through gluconeogenesis?
a. Red blood cells
6. Why do only some tissues (e.g., liver) contain the enzyme glucose-6-
7. What are the main products of the pentose phosphate pathway, and how does
the cell use them?
8. How many molecules of ATP are produced during the metabolism of one (1)
molecule of glucose through the pentose phosphate pathway?
9. Which two (2) molecules are produced during the pentose phosphate pathway
that are also produced during glycolysis?
10. Describe two (2) specific things that make NADH and NADPH different from each
other (Note: consider the structural and biological properties of the two
You may use your textbook and/or the internet to assist you. You will earn 10 points for
correctly answering each question (maximum points earned = 100 points).
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more